Basic Air Pollution Facts
Below are some random facts and info on environmental pollution.
Air pollutants (dangerous things that make the air unclean)come in the form of gases or particles.
It is estimated that you breathe 20,000 liters of air each day. This means the more polluted the air is, the more we breathe into our lungs dangerous chemicals.
Air can be polluted both indoors and outdoors. Tobacco and other kinds of smoking are examples of indoor air pollution.
Sick Building Syndrome is a health condition related to pesticides, insecticides and chemicals we use at home and offices.
In the great "Smog Disaster" in London in 1952, four thousand people died in a few days due to the high concentrations of pollution.
Click to read more:
Air pollution affects kids more than adults because, for their body size, kids breathe more air and spend more time playing outside.
More hazardous pollutants are discharged into the air each year than are released to surface water, ground water, and land, combined.
Motor vehicles produce more air pollution than any other single human activity. One full commuter bus can mean 40 less cars going through your neighborhood.
In America, vehicle exhaust contributes roughly 60% of all carbon monoxide emissions nationwide, and up to 95% in cities.
SOURCES: Our reading for the lesson included the following sources:
1. Household air pollution and health. Fact sheet N°292. WHO, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs292/en/
2. Indoor Air Pollution. Medline Plus., http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/indoorairpollution.html
3. Indoor air. The Department os Environment, Australia: http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/environment-protection/air-quality/indoor-air
4. Indoor Air pollution, Edugreen. http://edugreen.teri.res.in/explore/air/indoor.htm
5. Carbon monoxide poisoning, NHS UK., http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/Pages/Introduction.aspx
6. What is Air Pollution: EPA Victoria., http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/air/aq4kids/main_pollutants.asp
7. Asthma and Air Pollution., Natural Resources Defense Council: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/fasthma.asp
8. Air Pollution And Health, Environmental Protection UK. http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/committees/air-quality/about-air-pollution/air-pollution-and-health/